Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Travelin' Man


Somewhere North
Derek Webb of Caedmon's Call uses the illustration of driving frequently in his writing. It reminds us that we are traveling through this world. By traveling through, we have a destination. That destination is definitely further north than where we currently reside. We, as Christians, live with a higher calling & a valuable citizenship. The benefits of our residency help us to take those "muggy nights" of this world in stride.

Still, we struggle with letting go. The author can only give a candid photograph as a token of his devotion--it is raw & vulnerable, but it is still only a picture. Scripture says we see things darkly, as through a mirror. But one day, we will see this life for what is really is & laugh at how hard it was to let go. One day we will see ourselves as we really are, our God as He really is & then we will enjoy unity in perfection. Until then, we long for something greater.

It's a muggy night in Houston
And all the intersections are like full service stations.
I'm on my way to a familiar place.

It's cold in Kansas City,
And you can no more hear me than I can see your face.
How I wish it was just you and me.

We wouldn't have to talk above the crowd,
We wouldn't have to talk so loud.

I give you my life and all I am,
But what have I to give
So I hand you a candid photograph of this little boy
'Cause I have nothing to m name,
But I can give you that.

I don't miss the driving. Seems like forever
And I'm always driving in my mind.
And wearing out the road that gets me there.

And I'm driving 'till my eyes just can't see straight,
But I suppose that it's getting late.

I may never find the sleep,
I've lost all feeling in my hands and
Feet may touch the ground but
My mind's somewhere north of here.
Christopher M. Jimenez. Powered by Blogger.

Mailing List